Allied Consultants, Inc. is an Austin-based firm which has for 25 years been a premier provider of technical and business professionals to clients in Texas. We are currently seeking an experienced System Administrator / Cobol Upgrade Specialist to be a key resource on a technical services team.
Allied Consultants offers its family of consultants excellent rates, a local support staff, and an attractive benefits package which includes medical insurance (Allied shares a percentage of the cost), life insurance, a matching 401(k) plan and a cafeteria plan.
Candidates selected for interview will be required to undergo criminal background checks and may be required to complete a drug screen in accordance with Federal and State Law. Offers of Employment are contingent on a successful background check
Allied Consultants is an equal opportunities employer.
Allied Consultants has a Texas government client preparing for the upgrade to COBOL 6.1.
Our client has a large number of mainframe based CICS/COBOL/DB2 applications, which are used by state and county officials across the State of Texas. They have several thousand COBOL applications and require an experienced system administrator to work with their team of system administrators and COBOL application developers to plan and perform the upgrade to COBOL 6.1.
Our client is located in Huntsville Texas and there is a strong preference the individual be in a position to work from the IT division in Huntsville. There maybe an option to work in Austin Texas, but it would require some travel to Huntsville for planning meetings.
• Provide leadership, direction and planning on the COBOL 6.1 upgrade project
• Develop a defined set of procedures and plan to perform the upgrade
• Review the requirements of the IBM COBOL 6.1 upgrade manual
• Identify and document differences between current version of COBOL 4/5 and COBOL 6.1
• Support and perform updates, modifications and development of JCL, REXX, CLIST and other code
• Communicate differences in versions of COBOL to application development team
• Coordinate with system administrator, data center provider and other required IT leaders and personnel the upgrade
• Document upgrade process and provide mentoring and training to TDCJ IT system administrators and other designated team members
System Administrator of IBM mainframe
Prior experience upgrading COBOL preferred, especially to COBOL 6.1
Planning and executing activities outlined in IBM migration guides
Documenting and mapping changes in different versions of software, and communicating these differences to affected parties
Troubleshooting problems application developers encounter with new software